Resume of Jan Beyea, Ph.D.
in the Public Interest
Resume of Dr. Jan Beyea
Ph.D., Columbia University, 1970 (Nuclear Physics).
B.A., Amherst College, 1962.
Academic and Environmental
| 1996 to date
|| Chief Scientist, Consulting in the Public Interest, Lambertville, NJ.
| 1996 to 2008
|| Consultant to the National Audubon Society of NY and Pennsylvania on Forest
| 1995 to 2001
|| Consultant to the Columbia School of Public Health and
the Mt. Sinai Medical Center on the Long Island Breast Cancer
| 1992 to 1995
|| Chief Scientist and Vice President, National Audubon
Society, NY, NY
| 1980 to 1991
|| Senior Scientist, National Audubon Society, NY, NY.
| 1976 to 1980
|| Research Staff, Center for Energy and Environmental
Studies, Princeton Univ.
| 1970 to 1976
|| Assistant Professor of Physics, Holy Cross College
| 1968 to 1970
|| Research Associate, Columbia University Physics
Advisory Activities and
- National Research Council of the National Academies of Science: Panel on the Prospects for Inertial Fusion Energy
- National Research Council of the National Academies of Science: National Associate
- Nat. Research Council: Division Advisor (Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences)
- World Trade Center Health Registry Scientific Advisory Committee
- Consultant on human exposure assessment to 1) UNC Epidemiology Dep't., 2) U Buffalo Dept. of Social & Preventive Med.
- Peer reviewer for the American Journal of Public Health, Environmental Health Perspectives, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Bioscience, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Environmental Management, Environmental Science and Technology, Pan American Journal of Public Health, Science & Global Security, Medical Science Monitor, Atmospheric Pollution Research, and various Boards of the National Research Council, including the Board on Radioactive Waste and the Board on Environmental Studies & Toxicology
- Listed reviewer of the following reports of the National Research Council:
- Uranium Mining in Virginia
- Improving the Regulation and Management of Low-Activity Wastes: Current Regulations, Inventory, and Practices
- DOE's Nuclear Energy Research & Development Program
- Making Best Use of the Agent Orange Exposure Reconstruction Model
- Closure Plans for the Baseline Incineration Chemical Agent Disposal Facilities
- Environmental Impacts of Wind-Energy Projects
- Nat. Research Council (Nat. Academies of Science), Committee on America's Energy Future, 2007-2009
- Nat. Research Council (Nat. Academies of Science), Committee on Alternatives to Indian Point Reactors, 2005-2006
- Nat. Research Council, Comm. on Alternatives for the Release of Solid Materials from Nuclear Regulatory Commission-Licensed Facilities, 2001-2002. Chair of technical committee.
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee on Forest Health Monitoring, Assessment and Evaluation, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 2001-2002
- Nat. Research Council, Comm. on DOE'S Fine Particulate Research Program, 1999
- Nat. Research Council, Board on Energy and Environmental Systems, 1993-1998.
- Nat. Research Council, Committee on "Linking Sci. & Tech. to Society's Environ. Goals."
Board Member, Recycling Advisory Council, sponsored by the EPA, 1994-1996
Composting Committee, Coalition of Northeastern Governors (co-chair) 1994-1996
Member, Source Reduction Task Force, Coalition of Northeastern Governors 1991-1995
Secretary of Energy's Advisory Board, Task Force on Economic Modeling, 1991
Nat. Research Council, Comm. on Alternative Energy R&D Strategies, 1990 1991
Office of Technology Assessment, Advisor to various studies, 1984 1988
Articles and Presentations
Nuclear Issues and Radiation
Toxics, Human Health, and Epidemiology
Forests and Wildlife
Miscellaneous Environmental Issues
Green Architecture and Sustainable
References on request from
Consulting in the Public Interest
Lambertville, NJ 08530
This page was last updated on